Research Position Statement (v2)Middle- and long-term research in information science will be confronted with three main challenges:
- an increasing complexity of information in terms of quantity and quality which makes it difficult or even impossible to extract and understand meaning and
- an increasing need for collaboration and communication on all geographical levels (co-located, local, regional, national, international) mainly due to the distribution of data and people and therefore knowledge and
- an increasing complexity of information models and processes including the extension of theory and experiment with the concept of computation and simulation.
- social sustainability including human resource management, societal and corporate culture, communication and marketing, or fairness.
- environmental sustainability including efficient use of materials and energy, substitution of materials, biomimicry, recycling, waste management and material flow, or transport organisation.
- economic sustainability including governance and management, assets and operations, process and product innovation, managing intellectual property, usability, or design thinking.
- Design Science Information Systems Framework (cf. Hevner et al.)
- Interaction Design Methodology (cf. e.g. Cooper, Laurel, Buxton, Dourish)
- Computer Science and HCI methodology (cf. e.g. Norman, Shneiderman)
- Empirical Research methodology (Psychology)
- Philosophical models, e.g. (radical) Constructivism, Phenomenology
- Information Visualization and visual communication (cf. e.g. Ware, Tufte)
Current Main Projects
- [cICT]: converging Information and Communication Technologies and Non-Verbal Communication Support in Videoconferencing.
- [MARCUS]: Mobile Augmented Reality and Context in Urban Settings.
- [ART]: Augmented Reflection Technology (ART): using technology for therapy.
- [MRETR]: Mixed Reality Exposure Therapy and Rehabilitation Workshop 2013.
- [EducatorCollaborator Project]: Co-located and remote Communication and Collaboration in a classroom situation
- [ORG Serious Games project]: Sketcharoo.